Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things you notice in transit

When you go from place to place, especially internationally, things tend to get interesting. I've been on the road 24 hours and now, from my vantage point in my hotel in Ferrara, I want to share a couple of the weird little things that have happened so far.

-I sat on the flight from Denver next to a woman who was also named Coleen

-I encountered my first "Euro-trash" teenager as soon as I stepped up to the gate at DIA

-Every annoucement is in a language that is confusing because it kinda sounds like English but isn't, like German. Mach Schnell!

-Real German beer is really good. Also every beer calls itself the king of beers.

-Janitors in Frankfurt's airport apparently do not care if they are following you into the bathroom of the opposite gender, and your looks of confusion do nothing to stop him.

-Ordering a bottle of champagne and putting it on the tab of the school is perfectly right, as is not asking beforehand and not offering it to all at the table

-Blisters are as inevitable as walking 15 km through winding airport terminals to get to your connecting flight

1 comment:

mark monroe said...

beautiful writing, Coleen! Easy to hear your voice coming through...love you darlin'!